Thanks for visiting my website. In this section, please read more about my yoga teaching, advocacy and volunteer work, writing, newsletter, music, and me in the media.
In August, 2020, I received a grant to create a short video about the resilience of Chicago's Asian American community facing racism during the Covid-19 pandemic. It's called, "pressure". A description: "Struggle, Acceptance, and Understanding are key to developing resilience. these Doaist principles can describe how chicago asian americans struggle with racism over the covid-19 pandemic, accept that this pressure is a part of the american experience, and understand that we're all doing the best we can." More info on "pressure", soon.
Advocacy and Volunteer Work
- as an advocate, i'm constantly supporting good things publicly.
- i've elevated asian american rights and representation for decades as a musician, tv show host, actress, producer, teacher, and volunteer
- i curated the asian american music series at the old town school of folk music
- i co-founded chicago's only pan-asian theatre company
- i produced free training workshops for asian american actors
- i ran the chicago asian american theatre meet-up group
- i created and produce chicago's first asian american play reading series
- i produce an asian american playwright residency program
- i host free asian american playwriting workshops
- i founded, drummed and sang in, and wrote songs with "kim", chicago's only asian american female rock trio. long live "kim"!
- i use social media to share calls to action, positive messages, information sharing, raising awareness
- i protest. i hang signs. i try, i try, i try to take advantage of pubic opportunities to say and do the right thing
- as a volunteer:
- i've taught prenatal and other yoga in the cook county correctional facility since 2010
- i've tutored korean seniors on the u.s. citizen test and taught them english
- i've tutored kids at the southeast asian center
- i've helped at an asian american domestic violence center since the mid-90's
- i founded and produced a music benefit series for women's homeless centers for nine years
- since 2018, i created and produce an asian american theater project that supports playwrights, directors, and actors
- i'm passionate about helping through protesting, neighborhood engagement, helping elderly friends